Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Modern Interpretation of John Donne's Sonnet 14-Batter My Heart




John Donne (1572-1631)
Holy Sonnet XIV: Batter My Heart, Three-Person'd God
Batter my heart, three person'd God; for, you
As yet but knocke, breathe, shine, and seeke to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow mee,'and bend
Your force, to breake, blow, burn and make me new.
I, like an usurpt towne, to'another due,
Labour to'admit you, but Oh, to no end,
Reason your viceroy in mee, mee should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weake or untrue.
Yet dearley'I love you,'and would be loved faine,
But am betroth'd unto your enemie:
Divorce mee,'untie, or breake that knot againe,
Take mee to you, imprison mee, for I
Except you'enthrall mee, never shall be free,
Nor ever chast, except you ravish mee.
The text of this sonnet is taken from http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lyman/english233/Donne-Batter_My_Heart.htm. There is an accompanying study guide as well. You can hear a reading of the sonnet at http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=3491882&song=Holy+Sonnet+14+-+Batter+my+heart%2C+three-personed+God... I've shortened the URL to http://bit.ly/5Vjkv
Ayman Fadel's Modern Interpretation
My system does not meet specifications
My compiled code produces an endless loop
The DLL I took from the outsourced corporation
Gives me runtime errors and gobly gook
Lord, I've got your proposal to fix this situation
Your references check out, and I'm good to go
But my shareholders are locked in litigation
And my IP rights are held in escrow.
The sonnet reminded me of a supplication which the Messenger Muhammad salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam taught.

The hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari:

صحيح البخاري، الإصدار 2.03 - للإمام البخاري
الجزء الأول >> 4 - كتاب الوضوء. >> 75 - باب: فضل من بات على الوضوء.
حدثنا محمد بن مقاتل قال: أخبرنا عبد الله قال: أخبرنا سفيان، عن منصور، عن سعد بن عبيدة، عن البراء بن عازب قال
قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم: (إذا أتيت مضجعك، فتوضأ وضوءك للصلاة، ثم اضطجع على شقك الأيمن، ثم قل: اللهم أسلمت وجهي إليك، وفوضت أمري إليك، وألجأت ظهري إليك، رغبة ورهبة إليك، لا ملجأ ولا منجى منك إلا إليك، اللهم آمنت بكتابك الذي أنزلت، وبنبيك الذي أرسلت، فإن مت من ليلتك، فأنت على الفطرة، واجعلهن آخر ما تتكلم به) قال: فرددتها على النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم، فلما بلغت: اللهم آمنت بكتابك الذي أنزلت، قلت: ورسولك، قال: (لا، ونبيك الذي أرسلت).
ش أخرجه مسلم في الذكر والدعاء والتوبة، باب: ما يقول عند النوم وأخذ المضجع، رقم: 2710.
(مضجعك) فراشك ومكان نومك. (ألجأت) أسندت. (رغبة) طمعا في ثوابك. (رهبة) خوفا من عقابك. (منجى) مخلص. (الفطرة) الدين القويم، وهو الإسلام الذي يولد عليه كل مولود. (لا، ونبيك) أي لا تقل ورسولك، بل قل ونبيك كما علمتك، وفيه إشارة إلى التزام الألفاظ الواردة في الأدعية والأذكار


I also think I misspoke in the video when I said tawba nasuuh is God's intervention to help us straighten ourselves out. Without getting into too much detail, we humans should do tawba nasuuh, or sincere and genuine repentance to God from our mistakes. God's tawba towards us is not called tawba nasuuh, since it would be beneath God's majesty to do something ungenuine or imperfect or unwise. God's tawba is to forgive our sins. See al-Tabari's commentary on Sura 2, Verse 128:

أما التوبة فأصلها الأوبة من مكروه إلـى مـحبوب، فتوبة العبد إلـى ربه: أوبته مـما يكرهه الله منه بـالندم علـيه والإقلاع عنه، والعزم علـى ترك العود فـيه. وتوبة الربّ علـى عبده: عوده علـيه بـالعفو له عن جُرْمه والصفح له عن عقوبة ذنبه، مغفرةً له منه، وتفضلاً علـيه.

As an FYI, I composed the first draft of this under the auspices of the Augusta Chapter of the Quality Poets Society. So credit goes there, although it is obviously not responsible for my work's defects!